Monday, September 13, 2010

A Homemade Babywearing Coat for The Pure Baby

The Pure Baby (PB) and I have a new winter coat - to share!  Following some great instructions on TheBabyWearer, I was able to alter an Eddie Bauer parka into a babywearing winter coat!


My Eddie Bauer parka, prior to alterations:
The parka is a size "small".  I usually wear "extra-small".  The pictures show the parka's fit on me pre-babywearing coat.

 
After measuring/marking with a fabric marker and after attaching layers together with zig-zag stitching:


After cutting out the back panel, leaving the bottom attached:


The side panels:
The side panels were my most difficult part of the project.  The original German instructions are no longer available, and I completely had no clue what the TheBabyWearer instructions meant regarding a "curve".  In the end, my curve below was very inadequate. I was able to design a curve, with the side panels sewn to the coat flap, by holding out the coat flap and making it into sort of a box (as you will see in my final result, further down).


The side panels attached to the back flap of the parka:


With both top and side panels attached to the back flap of the parka:


The inner top flap with the fleece attached:


The inner top flap fleece sewn into place:


The finished exterior:


The pouch opening:


The finished interior:


The Pure Baby (PB) in our new babyweaing coat:
PB is being worn in our Kanga XT.


We're looking forward to a winter of wintry cold weather and lots of snow!

2 comments:

  1. SOOOOOO much better work than mine was! But i am lookig forward to the colder weather now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that is one of the coolest ideas I have ever seen!!! The finished product looks AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete